Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Korean Day Spa



Tonight I went by the recommendation of the bar tender last night, to a Korean Aqua Day Spa.  The spa was setup in disarray and chaos.  Massage tables lined up one after the next and open shower heads in the most random spots.  If you are uncomfortable with nudity I would not recommend this type of spa.  This was my first experience in a spa like this. 

I received a dead sea salt scrub and oil massage.   My masseuse was strong and forceful but used the utmost care in spots of tenderness.  She wore exfoliating gloves and scrubbed my whole body from head to toe. The scrub is meant to strip your body of any excess dead skin.  The feeling was rejuvenating.

As my masseuse scrubbed me down for the next 80minutes I could not help but think, that this massage is symbolic for me.  As she scrubbed away the dead skin, I wondered could this be me letting go of the past.  Each layer of skin that she removed represented a different age in my life.  I keep telling people that I meet here in California that I am going through a transition period in my life.  Everyone just nods there head, I must have a transition look on my face.

Could the masseuse have been scrubbing out past relationships?  Previous confrontations?  Or could it be a past that I would like to forget; or a past that has brought me to where I am today?  I like to think of my past as a huge learning experience.  This spa was a learning in itself that I know I have to be getting more comfortable with my body to be massaged in a room full of naked women. 

After a long while waiting, I am finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin again.  This massage stripped me of the shell I was protecting myself in.  I was cleansed and renewed.  I stepped out with my fresh skin breathing in the San Diego air.  I never felt so clean.  This is the start of my new beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment