Saturday, January 8, 2011

Comfort Zones

I was given feedback at work yesterday, to be more chatty with the people I meet in yoga classes. While in Florida I have attended three different yoga classes so far. Each class being different than the last. New York has challenging yoga classes but it was nice to get out of my comfort zone and try new studios. Today during my third class I was much more talkative and was able to understand the community more that I am staying in.

After my yoga class this morning, I attended a music festival at a winery. The music was a mix of bongo drums, guitars, and a male vocalist. What a feeling to be out of the snowy area in NY and be in the glowing sun of FL while sipping wine to live music. I took the feedback given at work and applied it to this social event. And I’m glad I did.

My grandmother and I met two people on a blind date. The man a retired NYPD detective named Rich. Not much older than 45; the two looked like they had been dating for years. We discussed speeding tickets, the latest in local news and today’s job market. I graduated from SUNY Newpaltz with a dual degree in Journalism and Public Relations. Today I am the Ast. Manager for a retail store that focus on yoga apparel. I love my job, I’m constantly meeting new people and having new life experiences. My job has taught me to be more confident in the person I am today. This retired detective’s advice was to go where the job takes you and to never stay in your comfort zone. Get out of the small town I grew up and travel with work.

I have to learn to take risks. I am the type of person who stays in her comfort zone. I want to stay working for the company I love so much. I hope in the new future that a new position will open for me that I can get off of the retail floor and focus more on my passions in life like writing. Rich was right when he said, “Liz, you just need a little push off of that cliff!” Maybe he was the inspiration I needed to challenge myself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment