Monday, January 17, 2011

Kindred Spirits

As I landed, I could feel the grin sweep across my face.  This is the first time I have ever been to San Diego, let alone the first time I have ever been to California. The feeling was new and exciting.  I could feel the fire from my toes to my lungs and across my scalp.   I could see the mountains below pass by as the plane prepped for landing, “This is it,” I thought.  Would I one day be able to see myself living here?

Since I was of the age of 13 I could remember wanting to live here.  I wish for this city to be as much as I hope it for.  I ventured out to the streets of San Diego to find out if this city was suitable for my living expectations. 

When I walked into a local winery I found three locals there sipping on a mix of pinot noir and Riesling.  The recently newly married bride said to me, “Kindred Spirits come to San Diego wanting to find a home, a niche.”  Little did she know that this sounded utterly perfect to me.  In my current transition in life I am looking to find my so called niche, my groove in life.  I want to be able to excel in life where ever it takes me.   I want to excel at my job and in my personal life equally.  I want to come out on top for both.

 
The recently newly married bride, Kendra went on further to explain, “that people from NY are only looking to get out of those nasty winters.” This is true; I have longed to get out of the winters of NY.  The sound of its always sunny in San Diego does seem appealing.  Who could argue about flip flops in January?  I will wear those flip flops in January with pride as I walk the streets of San Diego.

The transition that I am currently going through is constantly reminding me to stay present and enjoy the journey of life.  At times this is so difficult.  Kendra brought it right back to reality, “Take ownership to your life!” she announced to me with a sip of wine.  I have to learn to take ownership over my life.  I have to live the life I want and be the life I want to live.  I don’t think even Kendra in her state of mind knew how powerful her words were.

Whether it is San Diego or another near by city to call home, I know that this is my journey and I only need to learn acceptance about this journey.  My life is exactly where it needs to be…

No comments:

Post a Comment